My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.unpastiche.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Strictly Pancakes

Reminiscent of Pancakes on the Rocks in Sydney, Strictly Pancakes is the first dedicated pancake establishment in Singapore. Jon and I decided to eat there since he had an errand to run nearby. 

Jon decided on the DIY pancakes, which allows you first to select the stack size - you have a choice of 2,3 or 4 pancakes, followed by a choice of type of butter (salted, unsalted, garlic&herb or rum&raisin) and maple syrup. Jon decided on the short stack (2 pancakes), with unsalted butter plus 2 additions of bacon and scrambled eggs (costing $2.50 each), which amounted to a total of $10.50. The maple syrup was the real deal, fyi, and not overly watered-down. 

DIY Pancakes ($10.50) (Please ignore the yellow-ness of the picture)
Maple syrup and unsalted butter for the DIY stack

I, on the other hand, had The Druggie ($11), which is described as the ultimate chocolate fix with chocolate pancakes served with chocolate ice cream, sprinkled with chocolate flakes and sliced strawberries and topped with homemade chocolate sauce. I substituted the chocolate ice cream with vanilla because I didn't want a chocolate overdose and I think that was an extremely good move on hindsight. I'm not sure if the ice-cream is homemade, but the sight of tiny black specks (vanilla beans) tell me that this is not the usual run-of-the-mill vanilla ice-cream! 
The (chocolate) Druggie ($11)

Both of us felt that the normal pancakes were awesome - they were sufficiently fluffy and the portion of maple syrup and butter given was adequate. I personally think that the pancakes are as nice as those served in Wild Honey and Riders, for a fraction of the price! And this is way better than Hatched's pancakes. The scrambled eggs were normal, with some ground black pepper for flavor, but the bacon was far too crisped and had overly black bits, which we didn't like. For the chocolate pancakes however, they were a tad dry, (must be because of the cocoa powder in it), and there wasn't enough 'sauce' to go around. I had to resort to siphoning some of Jon's maple syrup on my pancakes. Also, three chocolate pancakes were wayyy too much, so sadly, there was half a pancake leftover. 

I also like the fact that fresh batter is used each time someone orders, we went on a weekday at around noon, but there weren't many customers, so we got our orders rather quickly. Am not too sure if service is much slower on say, weekday brunch though. Given the dearth of parking over at Prinsep, finding parking on a weekend morning might be a pain in the ass, which I don't really plan to find out. 

Prices of drinks are average - I had plain water (FOC) and Jon had a latte ($4?). There were brunch specials for weekends as well, which increased the variety of pancakes available. I felt that the selection was rather small, but then again, I'm comparing to the menu in Pancakes on the Rocks, which has a crazily extensive menu with I think >50 types of pancake dishes. You can view their menu (with prices) on their website. Strictly Pancakes has 2 floors, and I liked that there was cohesion between the logo as well as the color scheme in the interior. 

All in all, I enjoyed my meal (although it really was a chocolate overdose), and would love to go back for brunch, and for some savory pancakes in the future!

Details
Strictly Pancakes
Address: 44A Prinsep Street
Contact: 63334202
Opening hours: opens till midnight on certain days - see here

Price: $$ ($10-$20 per person)

PS: After much online blog-stalking (of both baking and food review blogs), this review marks the first of (I hope) many food reviews on the local food scene in Singapore, which I've grown to deeply appreciate after spending some time overseas.

Disclaimer: This food review contains my own personal opinions and I am not reimbursed by any establishment or individual in any manner. Also, photos are taken with my iPhone, which may/may not have impacted photo quality. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...