My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.unpastiche.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Fluffy Pancakes III

Classes have been coming hard and fast these few weeks. Tons of tutorials to be done, assignments to be handed in, etc. After I finish tutorial at 8pm and arrive home at about 9pm, I find that I have virtually no energy to do any more work, needless to say any baking. Nevertheless, weekends are left for baking, or rather Saturdays are, and Sundays are for some work and reading my favorite types of books. I've been baking quite a bit, baking at least 2-3 things at one go. On a few occasions in the past months, I woke up on a Saturday morning feeling like I needed pancakes, and pancakes it was! Pancakes are really the easiest things to whip up, in less than 30 minutes, you should be able to mix the batter and make yourself delicious hot pancakes :]


I've been experimenting with a couple of recipes, and will be posting them up one at a time. These are really quite delayed because I really can't find time to blog, and I foresee that things are just gonna get worse :/ Anyway, I got this recipe bookmarked after Sonia left a comment in my previous post telling me that she had found a way for fluffy pancakes without beating the egg whites. Needless to say, I was intrigued and immediately went to her blog to check out her recipe. Her recipe indeed is really simple - most of us probably already have these ingredients in our pantry - flour, sugar, salt, milk, egg and oil. It's really that simple! 

I actually have my own recipe for pancakes which have approximately the same proportions as Sonia's but using all-purpose flour and baking powder instead, as well as having a lower sugar ratio and higher liquid ratio. So on a fine Saturday morning, I decided that I very much would like pancakes to go with  my freshly made strawberry-apple jam, and decided to give her recipe a go. This was yet another perfect chance to try another fluffy pancake recipe!

Fluffy pancakes with maple syrup and homemade strawberry-apple jam :]

Fluffy Pancakes III
Adapted from Sonia
Makes 6 pancakes

Ingredients:
150 g        self-raising flour
50 g          sugar
1/4 tsp      salt
110 ml      fresh milk
55 g          egg (about 1 large egg)
1 tbl          corn oil

Method:
  1. Mix flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, milk and corn oil. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture and mix until they briefly come together. You may still have tiny lumps of flour but this is okay!
  3. Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium low heat. Using a 
    ¼-cup measuring spoon, ladle 
    ¼-cup of batter on the pan and cook for 2 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip the pancake and cook for another 1 minute or until golden brown.
  4. Repeat with remaining batter and serve warm with maple syrup. 


Janine's jots: 
  • Cooking Notes: Because these pancakes are rather thick, do remember to use low heat to cook them otherwise the outsides will brown far too quickly before the insides are properly cooked!
  • Taste: Pancakes were sufficiently sweet, such that they could be consumed on their own. Of course, nothing beats pancakes with jam and maple syrup :]
  • Texture: You will first realize how thick the batter is, which is quite unlike a pancake batter but this is CORRECT - do not add anymore liquid to it! Just proceed to ladle the batter onto your pan and you should get a thick pancake. I think this helps with the fluffiness of the pancake, because you'll get pancakes with an almost sponge/chiffon-cake-like texture. Seriously good!
  • Serving size: Depending on how large or small you want it to be, you should get around 6 thick yummy pancakes!
  • Modifications: I would probably try decreasing the sugar and increasing the fresh milk in the recipe to see where it'll get it. And the next time, I'd probably use butter instead of corn oil because I much prefer the taste of melted butter. Otherwise, this recipe is pretty close to perfect for me! 
  • Storage: Pancakes should preferably be consumed right after they are made, especially these which had a nice crusty exterior but a soft fluffy interior. They also didn't last beyond breakfast, so I have no idea how long they last stored at room temperature. My guess is that you can store them in the fridge and zap them up when you want to eat them, although it won't taste as nice. 
  • Would I make this again?: Definitely! This is yet another winner after my last fluffy pancakes attempt!

In pictures: 



Fluffy cake-like inside :D

15 comments:

Hankerie said...

Wow..Janine, I love all sorts of pancake. Thanks for sharing the recipe, definitely will try it one day.

sotong said...

wow those pancakes are the thickest i've seen! and looking at them are making me so hungry!

sotong said...

wow those pancakes are the thickest i've seen! and looking at them are making me so hungry!

ann low said...

Those are nice pancakes, will make this for my morning breakfast too!

tigerfish said...

Good that you hv left yourself some time to bake :)

Reeni said...

These extra thick pancakes look incredibly delicious! I know where to come the next time I get a hankering for pancakes!

j3ss kitch3n said...

i love these pancakes as well! yours is so nicely rounded and so fluffy!

Anonymous said...

looks really fluffy!

works a wretch too but when one's gotta bake, one's gotta bake!

i adore that wooden board! pray tell where you got that from!

Unknown said...

omgggg they are absolutely gorgeous! thanks for the recipe

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I love this recipe too, Thanks for the mentioned.

Zoe said...

I'm always excited to hear if anyone found a great recipe. This pancake recipe seems to be a great one. Thanks for sharing!

Reva said...

Great looking pancakes.. I used to fumble when making them and end up with weird shaped crepes...
This platter would make anyone hungry..
Enjoyed browsing through your recipes.. Lovely..
Will be here often..:)
Reva

Viv said...

these pancakes look perfectly fluffy!! the thickness is exactly how i like my pancakes to be...hmm sponge/chiffon-cake like texture...that's pretty decadent for brekkie! looking fwd to your other pancake recipes :) best of luck with your classes this semester too!

Janine said...

@Zoe, Sonia, Rita, Jess, Reeni, tigerfish, sotong, Han Ker: thanks guys!

@Ann: let me know how your breakfast went! :)

@Alan: I got them from Australia! They're Australian timber (oak i think), and really lovely too :D

@Reva: thanks for stopping by!

@Viv: thanks :D I'm eager to start sharing the recipes too!

The Experimental Cook said...

The texture looks fluffy. In fact, I am salivating now...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...