My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.unpastiche.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Travel Tuesdays #4 - Belém, Lisboa, Portugal.

A pastel de nata or pastel de Belém, as I've alluded to, is a Portuguese egg tart or pastry. They are common in Portugal (duh), and places like Brazil (bet you didn't know that Brazil is the only Portuguese-speaking country in the whole of South America, didn't you?). Closer to Asia, it's particularly popular in Macau, which as we all know, was a Portuguese colony. This then spread to Hong Kong, which is just an hour ferry ride away and of course down to Singapore and Malaysia. I'm sorry to inform you guys however, that even the best egg tarts I had in Macau, which were pretty dang good (whose name I can't remember since the tour guide brought me there), are beaten hands down by the pastel de nata made in the Belém bakery, in Lisbon. 

Egg tarts are a common sight in Lisbon. They may look black and unappetizing, but they're goooddd.

For those who have visited Lisbon (or Lisboa) before, you'll realize that the area of Belém is a totally different creature from the rest of Lisbon city. I know Portuguese people (who are really nationalistic) will kill me for saying this, but it does remind me of the Albayzín area in Granada - hilly, with buildings with higgledy piggledy rooftops (which are incidentally in lovely shades of tan) and lovely shaded and cooling alleyways. [I'm a tad lazy to post more photos of the area since I'm lazy to do the necessary editing, so I'll leave it for another post.] Anyway, it was believed that the Catholic nuns from the Jerónimos Monastery in Belém created these tarts, and the first place to sell these tarts (since the nuns weren't supposed to sell them and the monastery sadly closed in the 19th century) was the Casa Pastéis de Belém. Now, they are being sold by the dozens in Antiga Confeitaria de Belem. Actually, it should be being sold by the hundreds or thousands, because there is always a queue outside the place. The tourists come by the busloads literally - tour buses stop them outside the place so that they can take a tea break and devour the tarts! You can eat in (which I did), or you can takeaway, in those distinctive hexagonal boxes (which I did, as well). In fact, they were so yummy that my friends and I tapao-ed a dozen of them to munch on for the rest of the day.

I didn't get a picture of the inside, but do check out Heather's blog post here to have a look of the inside - even her pictures don't show it, but the place is HUGE. It's basically like a cavern (imagine Batman's Batcave) and hemispherical ceilings and the place just goes on and on inside - the walk to the toilet is like 5 minutes away! Okay I exaggerate but you get what I mean. The walls are tiled with the distinctive blue tiles, which I term a Portuguese blue, since it's found everywhere around the city, and of course, there's the distinctive Portuguese rooster on some of those tiles. If you're curious, just google Galo de Barcelos to understand why the rooster is so prevalent in Portuguese culture - and Portuguese make real good peri-peri chicken! In fact Nando's originated from Portugal, if you didn't know =p


Even the takeaway boxes are in the distinctive blue and white, and each box states that this place has been making them Pastéis de Belém since 1837! That's 174 years - holyschmoly! A place that has made egg tarts for that long must be damn good, and yes they are. Period. They have a website, and you can see how the inside and outside of the shop looks like. They even had a short video of how the tarts are made. Each table has a cinnamon and icing sugar shaker, which you can use to top your tart, but seriously, only do it after you've taken a bite of the original. The tarts come out fresh by the dozens from the oven, so do try to get those - a bite into each is like a bite of custard heaven! Like I mentioned in my egg tart post here, the pastry is actually made of puff pastry and not normal tart dough, so it is a little oily and after popping like three of them, I did get a little gelat; BUT it was nevertheless still the best thing I've ever eaten. The custard is smooth and silky, with just the right amount of eggyness and the puff pastry acts as a perfect foil to the custard because it's just so flaky and buttery. Paradise in your mouth, as my Polish friend would put it. Most importantly, they never sell the tarts cool or lukewarm (since all of them get sold out anyway) so every tart is kept warm in the oven if you're eating in. If you're taking it away, they take the tarts which are cooling on the counter so that it doesn't burn through the box. How's that for thoughtfulness? I don't remember exactly how much they cost, but I recall them not being cheap for their size (they're pretty small), so probably around 1,50 - 2 euros?

PS: Europeans use a comma instead of a full stop to separate dollars and cents, so it's not a typo ;] As you can see in my photo, they do sell other Portuguese desserts, but I honestly can't remember their names, even though they were quite delicious, they paled in comparison to the tarts. 

The yummylicious egg tarts (plus some more to-go) and other sweet treats whose names I don't remember >.<

So long story short, if you ever plan a trip to Portugal, please please please do not leave out Lisbon, or Belém for that matter, because it's worth a trip there. Plus, you can take the cute little red trams that Portugal has running around the city. #15 goes to Belém in particular =]

20 comments:

Jeannie said...

Definitely looked to die for!

sotong said...

I really enjoy reading your travel stories. Keep it up! :) Those tarts really got me drooling! Yum!

Anonymous said...

looks so yummy! so how many did you wolf down? only 3? :)

Janine said...

@jeannie and sotong: thanks :D

@alan: hehe 3 at the cafe and a few more in the evening ;p

The Sweetylicious said...

WOW! noted! next time when i travel, look out for it! sure look delicious! (: (:

Downing Delectables said...

I love custard cups. I worked in a Portuguese bakery in New Jersey. The are always a best seller. If you are ever in North Jersey stop in Roselle to Pinho's Bakery.

Ana Jones said...

HAHAHA! i´m portuguese and i live in lisbon! i can go there whenever i want! os pateis de belem sao os melhores! they´re the best ones i´ve ever tasted!

Janine said...

@Jasmine: it is yummy, must go!

@tameka: i definitely will :)

@ana: I HATE YOU :( just joking of course, but yes, they're delicious and till today I still dream about them!

Von said...

I haven't had portugese tarts in ages....and these look so good! Now I want to travel to Lisbon- even if it's just for these tarts! haha...

Cate said...

I live in Lisbon too hehe they're delicious! in fact I think I might go down to belem next week to have some ^^
btw, the other cakes whose names you don't remember are in the front 'pão de deus' (God's bread) and in the back 'bolo de arroz' (rice cake)

Memória said...

I'm always surprised when my students don't know Portuguese is the official language of Brazil. I speak Brazilian Portuguese, but I would love to go to Portugal and try out a real pastel de nata. They look fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Janine said...

@Von: Lisbon is worth a trip if you're ever planning to visit Europe - it exudes a different vibe from the rest of Western Europe :)

@Cate: thanks for commenting about the cakes - at least now I know the names to them :) And I'm jealous that you can have them at anytime!

@Memória: I'm sure there is fantastic pastel de nata over in Brazil as well :) I've never been to Brazil (or South America for that matter), but that's the next place I wanna visit once I've enough funds! :)

Not Quite Nigella said...

I love those tarts and to be able to go to the place that they had them in Lisbon would be such an event! :o The sweet bun at the front looks really good. I think I've had something similar here and it was really good! :)

Viv said...

haha didnt even know they speak portuguese in brazil >< lol.
man i love love portuguese tarts...i had them in asia and also homemade but im sure they pale in comparison to the ones from portugal/macau/brazil!

lena said...

so the nuns created these tarts?? wow, i think they must be terrific bakers too! i never attempted portugese tarts but the pastry seems complicated. How great that you have these tarts from the origin city!! And over here, the chefs did some tweak and come up with pandan portugese tarts but i still very much prefer the plain ones.

shaz said...

Yum! I love these although I've never been to Portugal to try the original version. Great read :) Btw, my friend who grew up in Brazil always gets cranky when people assume she speaks Spanish.

Anonymous said...

Wow, seems like you are really well travelled and informed with regards to the cultures of the world. And those are some amazing looking lisboan tarts!

Patricia Murphy said...

I'm going to Portugal in 17 days and I will seek out these tarts for sure.

Anh said...

wow! just wow! beautiful photos, and those tarts...

Janine said...

@Lorraine: Where did you eat them? I'm heading to Syd soon so it'd be great if I could have the address!

@Vivienne: the ones in Asia are pretty good, but the best are still in Portugal :)

@lena: I think you can try using ready made puff pastry? should be the same!

@shaz: heh i was one of those who didn't know either, but was corrected by my brazilian friend too!

@crustabakes: nahhh I just like to read up on the history and culture of each place rather thoroughly before I visit :)

@Patricia: OH PLEASE DO. I promise you won't regret it!

@Anh: Thanks for stopping by! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...